Saturday, September 25, 2010

Good Lord I'm Gay

I often pride myself in the fact that I'm not one of those gays who is into musicals. I hate all the songs from Wicked, Rent, Les Miserables, and countless others. PBS aired the show Cats once and for some reason I watched it, scratching my head the entire time wondering what the hell was going on. And above all, I absolutely cannot stand watching Glee anymore.

However, I must admit that I'm a closet Barbra fan, and I actually do enjoy a lot of the older musicals out there both of the Barbra variety or otherwise (Hello Dolly, The Music Man, The Sound of Music, etc). Last night I finally watched Funny Girl, and *shock* I really liked it.

Fast forward to today: I have been awake and at work for two hours, and it already feels like the longest day in creation. I was literally about to break down and cry, so I decided to take a break and go for a walk. While walking Barbra suddenly started singing at me in my head, and - it makes me feel horribly horribly tacky to say this - I started feeling better.

The moral of the story: I am a big ol' queermosexual, and I love me some Barbra.

6 comments:

boskers said...

likes this.

MoHoHawaii said...

The problem is that you picked the wrong musicals. The ones that turned you off to the genre are really crappy musicals. (You have been born with good taste in musicals. You must use this power for good, my son.)

Try Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd. Try Leonard Bernstein's On the Town. Watch Hair.

MoHoHawaii said...

Oh, and skip Tim Burton's horrible film version of Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp. Watch the Broadway version on DVD with Angela Lansbury.

A Gay Mormon Boy said...

You're forgiven, but just for using the word queerosexual.

Rob said...

Fear not. You aren't the only one like this. I wouldn't know most of the songs from Wicked or Rent even if I heard them. And MoHoHawaii is correct.

Emily Pearson said...

Hey There - I'd love to submit your blog for the project I am working on. Would you be at all able / willing to pull together, what you feel are, your very best posts on the subject and send them to me at emily.pearson@gmail.com? T'would be great!