Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Honor Code Spies

About a week ago, my boyfriend and I talked to someone who used to work for the Honor Code office at BYU. This person is gay, and he used to chat with people on a fake profile on connexion . What we didn't know before was that (according to what he told us about a week ago) he had been told by officials at the Honor Code office to create this fake profile to catch gay BYU students.

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. It seemed ridiculous to me that the HCO would commission its employees to commit a form of identity theft (via using someone else's photos to create a profile on a social networking site). Having seen the workings of the HCO firsthand though, I know that such practices wouldn't be beyond them. Ethics have no place in the HCO.

In response to this shocking revelation, Rev. Dennis Busch of eGRACE International has instituted a new program to verify that online profiles are not being used by Honor Code spies. If you would like to certify your online profile, whether it be connexion, facebook, myspace, etc., please follow this link and register. Together with eGRACE, we can all create a more secure online environment.

10 comments:

Other Species said...

Oh my...gosh. I had no idea. It makes me a whole lot less trustful now, sad to say.

Captain Midnight said...

Yeah, it really is incredibly sad that they would do that.

Other Species said...

Since I do go to a Church School, I'm definitely looking back at my blog, online profiles, and all that crap. Oh, the paranoia.

Jeff said...

In addition to the eGrace certification, connexion.org has a built-in certification process that requires a person to submit a face picture with the person holding a sign with their unique member ID handwritten on it. You can feel a bit safer by only talking to certified people on there.

Andy Foree said...

What...the...hells? Does the HCO really do that? For some reason, I just can't seem to fathom that they would do something so untrustworhty! Are you sure? I mean...I guess I believe you, I wouldn't put it past them...but REALLY?!! Hmmm...maybe I should cancel my Connexion account.

Romulus said...

This doesn't even come close to surprising me. After going through all of their shenanigans, I don't put anything past them.

Joe Conflict said...

So glad I went to BYU before the days of widespread internet use and blogs, and connexion. Just before, but before.

This is really awful on their part. Don't they get enough confessions through all those byu bishops?

Alan said...

SO not surprised. The denomination doesn't matter. This kind of dishonest unethical deception is a common byproduct for any group of people who think God has appointed them to keep others pure and sinless, to enforce righteousness.

Oh, wait, didn't we fight a war in the pre-existence against that idea?

Rev. Dennis said...

God Bless eGRACE for their good work.

str8ontilmorning said...

Makes me sick.