Monday, April 6, 2009

Message from President...

I just got an email from my mission president asking how my search for "Mrs. [my last name]" was coming. He told me that finding her should be my top priority and that she's definitely out there. Haha. I'm kind of tempted to reply that I'm gay, but I don't know if I should. I love and respect my mission president a lot, and while I'm sure he's not the type that would distance himself from me because I'm gay, I think he might be the type to assure me that I can be straight with hard work. I know it might be difficult to answer this question without knowing my mission president and the type of relationship I have with him, but do you think I should tell him? Or should I give the same response I give my grandma and just say that I'm still looking? If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

6 comments:

Alan said...

Your Prez was off base with that e-mail. Mission presidents are told not to do that. I'd ignore it.

Ezra said...

Well, the decision is ultimately best made by you, but I vote for honestly. Just say you're not looking for a Mrs. and see if he presses the issue... then you can drop the bomb.

LOL,

that's one reason I'm glad I never served a mission. Though I still have people in my life I don't want to tell because I'll feel like I'm letting them down somehow...

Scott said...

Are you out in general? If so, go ahead and tell him. If not, it's not as obvious an answer.

My personal tendency is always to lean toward telling, because at worst he'll turn preachy (and then you can start ignoring him) and at best it will turn into a chance to educate (or else he'll already be educated, because he'll already have a family member or other close acquaintance who's gay).

Basically, unless you think there would be negative consequences (above and beyond considerations of personal comfort), tell him.

But that's just my opinion. :)

D. said...

Send him the lyrics to Lady Gaga's "Boys Boys Boys"..

"Boys boys boys.. we like boys in cars.." :)

El Genio said...

If one of my presidents asked me, I would tell them. I'm not out (yet) but I had a close enough relationship with both of them that I just wouldn't feel good hiding something like this from them at this point in my life. (Of course, my parents don't know yet either, which means I obviously have some work to do.) I don't expect that either of them would encourage me in my search for a husband, but I do think they would still express their love for me.

ElderBrotherSomebody said...

I think you should tell him. If he loves and respects you, it may give him a new insight to what so many other missionaries are dealing with. Of course, it's your call, and you have to go with your gut, but it may end up being a good thing.

Let us know what you decide!