Monday, April 20, 2009

Memoirs of a Gaysha

In my last semester at BYU I wrote an essay for my memoir class about being gay and a missionary. My teacher was really cool, and I knew she could handle it, but I didn't let the whole class workshop my paper. Now that I'm at UVU, I've decided to revisit that paper in my creative nonfiction class. I let the entire class read it and give me comments. I don't know if I'll post it on this blog, since it's rather lengthy and I'd like to get it published in a literary journal first, but I might post excerpts after I'm done revising.

Anyway, all my work on the essay got me thinking about my life since coming out to myself. Since I was at BYU before, most of my writing was about mission stories or high school stories. I didn't feel like I could write about my recent history because it could get me in trouble. I don't have that obstacle anymore though, so I've decided to just start writing a memoir about my gay life. I've decided to write it in a series of free-writes because I'm not worried about making it good right now, I'm more concerned that I get it all written down. I think the gay mormon story is very important for people to hear if there is to be greater understanding worldwide, and I'm sure we could all write very poignant and very different stories.

I don't know what my point of this post is, but I think if I tell people that I'm working on writing about my gay life I'll be more motivated to actually write about it. On that note, here's "The Greatest" by Cat Power. My love of Cat Power has recently been revived, so I've been listening to her all day. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Wyatt said...

I'd love to read your paper. Good for you for being honest.

Captain Midnight said...

Thanks, Wyatt. If you want a copy of my paper I can email one to you. I'd love to know what you think about it.

symphonyofdissent said...

This paper sounds incredible. I am a new member to the church and heterosexual myself but struggling with figuring out my feelings towards homosexuality and same sex marriage. I come from a very liberal background and can not view others with anything but respect and love. I do not think I would have the strength to deal with the burden that you have and so I admire you for your strength and courage. Keep on writing because your words are inspiring and not just to those that are homosexual. I would love to read this paper if that is at all possible.

Thanks

Daniel Ortner