Monday, February 16, 2009

C.R.A.Z.Y.

I really should be preparing for a class presentation tomorrow, but I also really felt like posting about a movie I watched earlier today. It was a French-Canadian movie called C.R.A.Z.Y. and I absolutely loved it. For anyone familiar with gay cinema, you will also be familiar with cheesy plotlines and melodramatic acting. C.R.A.Z.Y. has none of that. C.R.A.Z.Y. didn't feel like a gay movie despite having a clearly homosexual story about a gay son trying to remain close to his not very accepting father. This is one of my favorite movies now. If you have netflix, you can watch it online. If you don't have netflix, you really should try to find the movie and watch it.

(Sorry the trailer is in French with no subtitles, I couldn't find a subtitled version)

5 comments:

Alan said...

I saw it too! Lots of fun. A very inventive premise, C.R.A.Z.Y. as the initials of one family's five sons in a row.

Jér said...

That was one of the first movies I watched on Netflix's Watch Now streaming video feature, back when there was hardly anything to choose from. I had learned to be wary of gay/queer cinema, but I was pleasantly surprised by C.R.A.Z.Y.--it was definitely queer, but it wasn't clichéd. And of course it is set in Montréal and in French, so that sold me the rest of the way.

Ezra said...

I absolutely ADORE this movie. Oddly enough, my roommate had watched it in a class at Emerson, and he brought it to my attention when I was still in the closet. I related so much with Zach, and his desire to be straight... now I realize that, like him, I eventually came to accept it.

EVERYONE should see this movie, it's the best "gay" movie I've ever seen. IMHO.

Philip said...

I have seen a couple of gay films I have liked lately - Outing Riley and Save Me (I might have this title wrong).

But my old time favorite is Brokeback Mountain. However, I think that is one of those movies that you either love or hate. I think it is too subtle for some people and it really helps if you have been extremely closeted (where you don't even know what the term closet means) or have lived long enough to have regrets.

Regards,
Philip

invisible said...

I own this move! Absolutely one of the best gay films out there! Kudos to you! I think I will watch it tonight!