Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ugh

So I just added this guy on facebook that went to my high school. I was older than him, so I didn't really know him, but I looked at his photos and I could tell he's gay, so I added him. I don't know if he knows he's gay yet, but I can tell from his photos that he is. My gaydar is that good. Anyway, as I was facebook stalking his photos, I noticed that he was in ballroom dance, and that he appeared to have many ballroom friends who I could tell were Mormon. I started to think about how Mormons can love an extremely flamboyant gay as long as they think they're trying not to be gay. Or in many cases, Utah Mormons will give even the gayest of gays the "benefit of the doubt" and just say, he's probably just a little artsy (or something like that). But the moment that person says he is gay, so many of those who were fine with the person before will condemn the person and want nothing to do with him. I just hate that about Mormons. I don't mean to over-generalize and condemn the whole religion (which I'm still quite fond of even though I don't really believe in it), I'm just saying that I've seen this happen a lot. During the whole Prop 8 crap, I noticed that most of the friends I had on facebook that were joining Prop 8 groups and donating their statuses to Prop 8 had lots of gay friends on facebook as well. They must not have known that their friends were gay though, even though many of them are pretty obviously gay, because they just assumed that they were just friends from choir or dance or whatever. Anyway, it's very late and I don't think I'm making any sense, so I'm going to end this here. If you understood the gist of what I was trying to say, kudos to you.

1 comment:

Ezra said...

Ugh is right.

I've never understood that.